The ATO website is an immense resource; so immense, that it is sometimes overwhelming. This list of key information and tools may help you to find what you're looking for.

Australian business number

Provides detailed information about the ABN, a single identifier for all business dealings with the tax office and for dealings with other government departments and agencies


Provides tax information for businesses. Find out about registration, BAS, yearly reports and returns, payments to ATO and your tax obligations regarding your workers.

Calculators and tools - ATO

Provides calculators and tools to help you manage your taxation. There are calculators for employers such as a FBT calculator, and for individuals such as calculators for deductions and offsets you can claim.

Choosing a super fund

Provides information for employees about choosing a super fund or retirement savings account (RSA) that will receive their super contributions under the superannuation guarantee.

Dealing with disasters

Provides information about assistance from the ATO when you have been affected by a disaster, such as a flood, bushfire or storm. They will give you time to deal with your more immediate problems first and then help you to sort out your tax affairs later.

Difficulty in paying your tax debt (individual clients)

If you cannot pay your tax debt on time, contact the ATO to discuss your circumstances. You may be given extra time to pay, depending on your individual circumstances.


Links to information to assist employers to meet their tax and superannuation obligations. You have specific responsibilities at every stage of your worker's engagement, from engaging your first employee or contractor through to ceasing to be an employer.


Provides information on tax obligations when dealing with excisable goods and EEGs. Excise duty is a tax on certain types of goods produced or manufactured in Australia or imported excise equivalent goods (EEGs), including alcohol, tobacco, fuel and petroleum products.

Exempt foreign employment income

Provides information for Australian residents working overseas to help them work out whether or not their income is exempt from income tax in Australia.

Forms – Australian Taxation Office

Provides ATO forms and instructions that you can find by topic or by title. You can also search by keyword or by the NAT number of the form.

Fuel schemes essentials

Provides credits and grants to reduce the costs of some fuels or provides a benefit to encourage the recycling of waste oils.

Guide to superannuation for employers

Provides information and advice for employers on paying superannuation for employees and contractors.

Guide to tax file numbers

Provides information about tax file numbers (TFNs) for individuals including what they are used for, how to obtain one or how to find your TFN if you already have one. Only one TFN is issued to you during your lifetime, even if you change your circumstances.

Leaving Australia and lodging your tax return

If you are a foreign resident leaving Australia permanently or an Australian resident leaving before the end of the financial year, you may be eligible to lodge your tax return early.

Medicare levy

Medicare gives Australian residents access to health care. To help fund the scheme, most taxpayers pay a Medicare levy of 2.0% of their taxable income.

Non-profit organisations

Provides tax information for non-profit organisations. Find out about setting up a non-profit organisation, gifts and fundraising, workers and volunteers, statements and returns and payments to the ATO.

Payments and refunds

A notice of assessment tells you if you will get a tax refund or have to pay the ATO. Provides information about when you will get your refund and how to pay your tax.

Permanent migrants or temporary visitors tax file number application

If you are a temporary visitor or permanent migrant, you can apply for a tax file number (TFN) online. Applications can be made at any time if you are in Australia and you have a visa that allows work rights, a visa that allows permanent migration, or a valid visa to stay in Australia indefinitely.

Property - tax information

If you have an investment property, build or renovate for profit, or use a property in the running of a business, there may be implications for income tax, capital gains tax and goods and services tax (GST). Your home is generally exempt from tax.

Searching for lost super (PDF 269 KB)

Form for searching for your lost superannuation.

Seniors and retirees

If you are over 55, retired or thinking about retirement, you might need to consider how your taxation and superannuation interests will be affected by the decisions you make about income, working and retirement.

Small business superannuation clearing house

A free online superannuation payments service that helps small businesses with 19 or less employees meet their superannuation guarantee obligations. Employers can register online and when it is time to make your superannuation contribution payments, this can be done in one transaction.


Provides tax information about superannuation for workers, employers, self-managed super funds and superannuation professionals.

Super co-contribution

Provides information about the super co-contribution, including eligibility and how it is calculated. Explains how it is paid and what to do if you did not receive your co-contribution or you do not agree with your super co-contribution payment.

Super information for temporary residents departing Australia

If you work while visiting Australia on a temporary resident visa, your employer may be required to pay superannuation (super) on your behalf to a super fund. Explains what you can do with your super after you leave Australia.

SuperSeeker - lost superannuation search

Do you have any lost superannuation? You can search SuperSeeker online, by phone, or by completing a form and you will get the same results.

Superannuation - Departing Australia

are a former temporary resident, you can claim super benefits you accumulated while working in Australia. To claim the Departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP) you must have visited on an eligible temporary resident visa (which has expired or been cancelled), and permanently departed Australia.

Tax withheld calculator

If you are an employer or another withholding payer, the TWC helps you work out the tax you need to withhold from payments you make to employees and other workers.

About Contact